Thread poster: Alberto Odor
Alberto Odor
Alberto Odor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

With Trados Studio 2015 it was easy to use Google Translate. That is not true for Studio 2017.
Is there a special trick to it? Or is it just that SDL wants us to pay for their own Translation Machine?

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How so? Oct 12, 2017

Hi Alberto,

What problems are you having? It works fine for me, same way it did with Studio 2015.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Language Cloud is free up to 400,000 characters per month Oct 12, 2017

Forgot to add that as users of Studio, we all get Language Cloud included for free, you just sign in with your SDL credentials and get 400,000 characters a month free of charge. That includes 1 Adaptive MT engine.

Alberto Odor
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Trados Studio 2017 and Google Translate Oct 12, 2017

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Alberto,

What problems are you having? It works fine for me, same way it did with Studio 2015.

Hi Nora,

In Trados 2015 you could add the Automated Translation "GOOGLE TRANSLATE" and use it easily.

In Trados 2017 I only find "GOOGLE CLOUD TRANSLATION API" AND NOT GOOGLE TRANSLATE. Once in the Editor, if I try to use the API to translate a segment, I get the error:There was a problem while translating, see the Messages Window for more information. In the Messages Windows I get: An error has occurred while using the translation provider Google Cloud Translation API. The remote server returned an error (403) Forbidden.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google MT Oct 12, 2017

Not sure what's going on there, but it sounds like a connection issue. All I can say is that other than the name change, everything works the same for me. After initially entering the API key, and now with SR1 my choice of either Neural MT or Phrase-Based MT, I haven't had to change the settings at all.

I would suggest also posting your question in the SDL Community, where there are also many expert users and SDL staff who may help figure out the issue.

Alberto Odor
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED Oct 13, 2017

Nora Diaz wrote:

Not sure what's going on there, but it sounds like a connection issue. All I can say is that other than the name change, everything works the same for me. After initially entering the API key, and now with SR1 my choice of either Neural MT or Phrase-Based MT, I haven't had to change the settings at all.

I would suggest also posting your question in the SDL Community, where there are also many expert users and SDL staff who may help figure out the issue.

Thank you, Nora. It's working now. I renewed my API password and it solved the problem.

Saludos a la CDMX, yo soy de allá.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Oct 13, 2017

Glad to hear it Alberto!

¡Saludos desde Chihuahua!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2017 and Google Translate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »