Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens
Thread poster: Lauriane Duran-Pauleau
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:53
Romanian to English
+ ...
Keep it in your collection May 11, 2020

Stephanie Kantorski wrote:

Just wanted to update everyone on this scam.

The scammer wrote me last week saying the check had been sent but there was a mix-up. Having already figured out the ruse, I summarily told them we are aware of the scam and to have a nice day (I used a couple well-chosen stronger words as well).

Just received said check, here's a photo:

Scam Check

It is for about four times as much as agreed. Some other interesting tidbits about the package:

- The scammers IP address is in Stockholm, Sweden (easy to mask)
- The person had told me they were "presently in Alabama"
- The return address on the package is from a guy in Utah
- The "mailed from" ZIP code is in Oakland, California
- The tracking history says it was mailed from Utah
- The cashier's check was issued at a credit union with five local branches in...Illinois

So, for what it's worth, I hope this prevents future fraud from affecting any other translators.

I hope you all stay safe, vigilant and busy!

Thank you for posting the checks. A few years ago I played along and now, I am the proud owner of three fake checks. Did not work a single minute, just copy/pasted a random text found online.

Stay safe
lee

Stephanie Kantorski
Fatine Echenique

Marie Garcia
Marie Garcia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just became a victim of this scam May 15, 2020

I just completed the translation for this Amélie, did the whole overpayment transfer thing, and now I'm probably out almost $5k, plus my bank account is frozen.

Cydonie Miles

Sannah Devoll
Sannah Devoll
United States
Local time: 03:53
French to English
+ ...
Scammer still at it, different email address May 25, 2020

This individual also sent me the exact same document, but using the email address [email protected]. Luckily, I discovered this thread before translating more than 250 words... I'm a translator that is just starting out, so initially I thought I had gotten lucky and was really excited to work on a longer project.

It's a little disheartening to have already been targeted by a scammer, but reading through this th
... See more
This individual also sent me the exact same document, but using the email address [email protected]. Luckily, I discovered this thread before translating more than 250 words... I'm a translator that is just starting out, so initially I thought I had gotten lucky and was really excited to work on a longer project.

It's a little disheartening to have already been targeted by a scammer, but reading through this thread has been very eye opening regarding scams and potential red flags. It's wonderful to see that this community looks out for each other.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kristen Canavan
Kaplana1
Cydonie Miles

Kristen Canavan
Kristen Canavan
French to English
+ ...
This scam has a new name May 27, 2020

Ludovic M. Segura is now sending the Agricultural reforms in the EU translation, offering an advance, and asking for bank details.

Kaplana1
Sannah Devoll

Adam Smith
Adam Smith
United States
French to English
+ ...
European agriculture scame May 27, 2020

I also got an email from Ludovic M. Segura ( email address is [email protected] ) requesting a translation of this document.

Kaplana1
Sannah Devoll

Sylvia Avila Cacho
Sylvia Avila Cacho  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too? But FR > EN from a different "person" May 31, 2020

I got an email from "Natasha Liberman" ([email protected]).

"Author: Natasha
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 45.152.181.204

-----------

Hello.
I would like to know if you are available for translation
from French to English?
Thanks."

I replied asking for more information and got a second emai
... See more
I got an email from "Natasha Liberman" ([email protected]).

"Author: Natasha
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 45.152.181.204

-----------

Hello.
I would like to know if you are available for translation
from French to English?
Thanks."

I replied asking for more information and got a second email

"Thanks for your prompt response.
Attached here is a copy of the document i would like to translate so you can view, send me your charges and your delivery time."

It's a 19,000-word document titled "Étude de cas sur la restructuration agricole en Europe"

Guess I'm not responding to that.

Man I was exited at first, but then I started googling. I looked up the person's name on Google, then on LinkedIn with the location (ProZ gave me their IP address, they're supposedly in Paris like me) and I couldn't find anything on them. I googled the document title too and it's not available online but the content seems similar to another PDF I found. Then I came on the forums here and found this thread.... Well then.

[Edited at 2020-05-31 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Sannah Devoll
Cydonie Miles

Gabrielle Sedita
Gabrielle Sedita  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
The same translation request, twice in under a year May 31, 2020

They tried back in September under a Turkish woman's name supposedly in Washington state (I was urged to start the job immediately and asked for bank details).

A request for exactly the same document was submitted via Proz on Friday night. This time it's via another email address: [email protected]. She has now been blocked.

Gabrielle Sedita
Gabrielle Sedita  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Word for word May 31, 2020

Sylvia, I received the same request from the same email address, word for word.

Cydonie Miles

Rose Joly (X)
Rose Joly (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Same scam, different client May 31, 2020

A week ago, I recieved an email from Ludovic asking for translation on EU agricultural reforms and again a few days ago from a Natasha Liberman. Same face, new name, I guess.

Natasha Liberman ([email protected])
Ludovic Segura ([email protected])

Sannah Devoll

Cydonie Miles
Cydonie Miles  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Me too Jun 1, 2020

I’ve been contacted by this person only yesterday as well, with the exact same document, story and offering to pay upfront.

But now she’s going by a different name and email.. She’s called Natasha Liberman now!

[email protected]

19AFD435-2857-4E87-9EBC-24AAF13F99D4

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check it out Jun 1, 2020

Dig the "Official check" on that document, in big black letters just in case anyone thinks it's a dud! They might as well have put "Fake check".

I must say I feel left out, because nobody has ever offered to pay me money up front with one of these, but if they do, I'll use Lee's routine of immediately sending them any old text at all.

Sheila Wilson
Liviu-Lee Roth

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Or ... Jun 2, 2020

... like Stephanie says, just ask them to issue another cheque "to rectify their mistake". After all, why should a party who hasn't made a mistake go to all that trouble to help out a party who made the "mistake" in the first place? If they aren't willing to do that, and they won't be, because after all it cost them money to send the first one and sending another would mean paying postage again but this time with no hope of anything in return, tee-hee, you can just say "Sorry, but no go." Option... See more
... like Stephanie says, just ask them to issue another cheque "to rectify their mistake". After all, why should a party who hasn't made a mistake go to all that trouble to help out a party who made the "mistake" in the first place? If they aren't willing to do that, and they won't be, because after all it cost them money to send the first one and sending another would mean paying postage again but this time with no hope of anything in return, tee-hee, you can just say "Sorry, but no go." Optionally, you can add "I'll make do with this fake one then."

The funniest thing about this scam is that the first person to spend any money is the scammer.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Nina Michael
Nina Michael
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Beware of Ana De Queiroz as well Jun 3, 2020

The scammer is also using the name Ana De Queiroz with the email address [email protected]. Same story - super long agricultural case study, immediate acceptance of quote and request for bank details offering 50% up front. I did not send any bank information, and instead sent her a detailed contract requesting her business information and signature. She replied with a fake address and an obviously fake copy-paste signature of a... See more
The scammer is also using the name Ana De Queiroz with the email address [email protected]. Same story - super long agricultural case study, immediate acceptance of quote and request for bank details offering 50% up front. I did not send any bank information, and instead sent her a detailed contract requesting her business information and signature. She replied with a fake address and an obviously fake copy-paste signature of a name that is clearly not hers on the contract.
For reference the address is "1606 W 1720 N, Provo, Utah 84604", which directs to the middle of a street in Utah. Also, this address is one digit off from the return address for a fake check picture posted earlier in this thread.
I've reported this person to the authorities and wanted to post here as well in case anyone else receives an email using this name.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Emily Queune
Emily Queune  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
French to English
Same document from Natasha Liberman Jun 5, 2020

Hello all,

Had the same document from someone called Natasha Liberman. And made the mistake of sending my bank details! Will contact my bank.

I feel like such an idiot.

Oh well!

Emily

Kim Whatley

Hilary Burdess
Hilary Burdess
France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Cannot believe what I'm reading... I am working on this "job" Jun 9, 2020

My goodness, I decided to look at who this person was after sending an invoice breaking down the payments and hearing nothing in spite of starting the job - same title, same name as other people.

Now I'm feeling very worried as I sent an invoice with all my details. My bank says not to worry (just called them) but it's the address & company no. on the invoice they could make use of somehow that's scary.

There is a real Natasha Lieberman on Proz, who is a Russian trans
... See more
My goodness, I decided to look at who this person was after sending an invoice breaking down the payments and hearing nothing in spite of starting the job - same title, same name as other people.

Now I'm feeling very worried as I sent an invoice with all my details. My bank says not to worry (just called them) but it's the address & company no. on the invoice they could make use of somehow that's scary.

There is a real Natasha Lieberman on Proz, who is a Russian translator in Utah - the state in the address this fake person sent me... I sent her a message via Proz to warn her.

[Edited at 2020-06-09 07:21 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Liviu-Lee Roth

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »