Math objects in LibreOffice on Linux
Thread poster: Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2018

I am revising and editing a sociological study that has some "Math" objects in: equations, variables denoted with Greek letters, and many subscripts. LibreOffice doesn't display these correctly. I can copy

I'm using
LibreOffice Version: 6.1.0.3
Build ID: libreoffice-6.1.0.3-snap1
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;

I have tried various workarounds: I thought of using MSOffice on PlayOnLinux but that seems to crash (perhaps
... See more
I am revising and editing a sociological study that has some "Math" objects in: equations, variables denoted with Greek letters, and many subscripts. LibreOffice doesn't display these correctly. I can copy

I'm using

I have tried various workarounds: I thought of using MSOffice on PlayOnLinux but that seems to crash (perhaps because the activation of the product never seems to work... my [legally paid for] edition is rather old, perhaps they decided I've activated it enough times already).

I also looked at GoogleDrive documents, which displays the Math objects correctly and allows me to use editing marks and comments, but some of the other figures and tables in the text are not displayed exactly as in the original - they seem to spill across page boundaries, however they are legible with patience. Perhaps if I edit in GoogleDrive and ask my client to download the document?

At the moment I think Google is the best solution but a LibreOffice solution would be more elegant. Many thanks for your help.
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
doomed Sep 19, 2018

Richard Robinson wrote:

I'm using

I have tried various workarounds: I thought of using MSOffice on PlayOnLinux but that seems to crash (perhaps because the activation of the product never seems to work... my [legally paid for] edition is rather old, perhaps they decided I've activated it enough times already).

I also looked at GoogleDrive documents, which displays the Math objects correctly and allows me to use editing marks and comments, but some of the other figures and tables in the text are not displayed exactly as in the original - they seem to spill across page boundaries, however they are legible with patience. Perhaps if I edit in GoogleDrive and ask my client to download the document?

At the moment I think Google is the best solution but a LibreOffice solution would be more elegant. Many thanks for your help.

I don't have a solution, but it's my experience that if you make the maths look pretty in LO/Linux, and then open it (your client opens it) in Word/Windows, it no longer looks quite right - unless you and your client are using the same software you're kind of doomed :/ (I use VirtualBox for this)

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Fonts? Sep 19, 2018

I have encountered similar problems, albeit not involving LibreOffice, which I eventually traced back to the fonts used: it appeared thate some of the Greek etc. characters had come from the main font used for the body text, using the much-extended Unicode character set, whereas others had been set in the Symbol' font, which was not being interpreted correctly.
I painstakingly went through and changed all the 'Symbol' font occurrences to Unicode, which cleared up the problem.

... See more
I have encountered similar problems, albeit not involving LibreOffice, which I eventually traced back to the fonts used: it appeared thate some of the Greek etc. characters had come from the main font used for the body text, using the much-extended Unicode character set, whereas others had been set in the Symbol' font, which was not being interpreted correctly.
I painstakingly went through and changed all the 'Symbol' font occurrences to Unicode, which cleared up the problem.

Of course, it may be that you text requires specific symbols that are ONLY available in 'Symbol' — in that case, perhaps you need to look at embedding that font with the document?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Math objects in LibreOffice on Linux

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »