aMicaTranslate
aMicaTranslate
Malta
Local time: 12:56
Member (2014)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Oct 30, 2020

I have been approached by an agency with an offer of a translation project of EU documents. I was asked if I possess a 'translator security clearance certificate'. This is the first time I was asked for such a certificate. Has anyone who is a freelance translator working within the EU ever been asked to produce such a certificate? If anyone can provide information about what it is and how it can be obtained, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Aline Amorim
Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Morano El-Kholy

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 11:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (PSCC) Oct 30, 2020

I have been contacted also by an agency which is participating in a tender and requested that certificate, which seems to be this one:
https://um.fi/documents/35732/48132/psc_requestform/cd151a10-5b38-87a4-9745-3e24b5bbd670?t=1525647176505

The PSCC means the following:

"Personnel Security Clearance Cer
... See more
I have been contacted also by an agency which is participating in a tender and requested that certificate, which seems to be this one:
https://um.fi/documents/35732/48132/psc_requestform/cd151a10-5b38-87a4-9745-3e24b5bbd670?t=1525647176505

The PSCC means the following:

"Personnel Security Clearance Certificate’ (PSCC) means a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual holds a valid security clearance or a security authorisation issued by the Commission Security Authority and which shows the level of EUCI to which that individual may be granted access (CONFIDENTIEL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL or above), the period of validity of the relevant security clearance or authorisation and the date of expiry of the certificate itself."
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32015D0444&print=true

Along with this, you need to send other documents and fill them. Honestly, I have never heard about this certificate.
Also, I don't use to apply for EU tenders. Nobody can guarantee that this relevant company will win that public tender.
I'm surprised there is not much information about this document online.

[Edited at 2020-10-30 17:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-30 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

aMicaTranslate

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this a new thing? Oct 30, 2020

In have been translating EU documents, both directly and through two agencies, for over 20 years and so far I haven’t been asked for such a document…

aMicaTranslate
expressisverbis

aMicaTranslate
aMicaTranslate
Malta
Local time: 12:56
Member (2014)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 31, 2020

Thanks to all for your help. Your comments were truely helpful.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Could be... Oct 31, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

In have been translating EU documents, both directly and through two agencies, for over 20 years and so far I haven’t been asked for such a document…

I also have worked through an agency in translating EU documentation before, but it is the first time I see this kind of request and certificate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator security clearance certificate to translate EU documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »