How to create ‘deltas’ or ‘diffs’ from two TMXs?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2018

I have several clients (translation agencies) that send me very large translation memories (as TMXs) together with each job. Before starting the job, I generally import these into an end client-specific TM in my CAT tool, in case something new was added my the translation agencies other translators since my last job for this and client. However, since they are often very large, this can take quite a long time. My CAT tool ignores anything that is already present in the TM.

However,
... See more
I have several clients (translation agencies) that send me very large translation memories (as TMXs) together with each job. Before starting the job, I generally import these into an end client-specific TM in my CAT tool, in case something new was added my the translation agencies other translators since my last job for this and client. However, since they are often very large, this can take quite a long time. My CAT tool ignores anything that is already present in the TM.

However, there must be a better way to do this. I have asked the client if it would be possible for them to send me only the new material, instead of the whole TM each time, and they said that this isn’t possible.

So my question is as follows: does anyone here know of a quick and simple way to extract only the differences between two TMXs? That is: remove anything that is the same in the two, and keep only the differences.

That is, how to create ‘deltas’ or ‘diffs’ from two TMXs?

Is there any way to do it in one of the TMX editors, in a text editor, or maybe in memoQ, Studio, CafeTran, Déjà Vu, etc.?

Michael
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm, just found this... Nov 1, 2018

https://github.com/amake/SuperTMXMerge

Capture

~

Capture3

~

Capture2

~

going to test it now...

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:20
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It seems you need a TM export filtered by date Nov 1, 2018

Hi Michael,

Reading your post, I got the impression that all you need is a TM filtered by client, domain, project, and date, i.e. the exported TM to include all segments added following a particular date (and non-existing in your current TM). I remember that Across could perform this task when I tried it in 2011.

You already have this functionality since your CAT tool does not import existing segments, though it takes time to import a big TM.

I am also inte
... See more
Hi Michael,

Reading your post, I got the impression that all you need is a TM filtered by client, domain, project, and date, i.e. the exported TM to include all segments added following a particular date (and non-existing in your current TM). I remember that Across could perform this task when I tried it in 2011.

You already have this functionality since your CAT tool does not import existing segments, though it takes time to import a big TM.

I am also interested if any other tool is capable is exporting TMs filtered by client, date, domain, and project.

Cheers,
Georgi
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 1, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Hi Michael,

I am also interested if any other tool is capable is exporting TMs filtered by client, date, domain, and project.

Cheers,
Georgi

Thanks Georgi,

But the data in the TMXs my clients send isn't always that well organised, and so I suspect the timestamps of individual TUs might not always be correct, i.e. properly reflect what is indeed newer. Will have a look though.

By the way, in CafeTran it is fairly easy to filter by any of the properties in a TMX and only save those to a new TMX. Not sure about other CAT tools.

Michael

Georgi Kovachev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create ‘deltas’ or ‘diffs’ from two TMXs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »