How to convert Xliff into Excel and then back to Xliff?
Thread poster: Comms
Comms
Comms  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

We have a client who wants us to convert Xliff file into Excel format for their reviewers, then convert the reviewed Excel back into Xliff?

Could anyone tell me how to do that?

We have SDL Trados 2007 Professional full version, the client has Heartsome.

I understand that tools like Catalyst, Passolo may work better with Xliff? But is there any other software (preferably small and cheap ones) can convert Xliff?

Thanks i
... See more
Hi everyone,

We have a client who wants us to convert Xliff file into Excel format for their reviewers, then convert the reviewed Excel back into Xliff?

Could anyone tell me how to do that?

We have SDL Trados 2007 Professional full version, the client has Heartsome.

I understand that tools like Catalyst, Passolo may work better with Xliff? But is there any other software (preferably small and cheap ones) can convert Xliff?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
XLIFF translation editor Nov 7, 2008

Sue Orchard wrote:

Get Swordfish and do the review of the XLIFF files directly in it.

Download a free trial from http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/swordfish.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:08
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Many solutions Nov 7, 2008

There are XML editing applications, there is a small tool to compare ttx files (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html) you can get a programmer write custom code to extract and replace strings from xliff back to Excel (should be fairly easy).

You could even write a Word macro to do the job. Maybe I could help you if I had the actual xliff files you want to work on
... See more
There are XML editing applications, there is a small tool to compare ttx files (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html) you can get a programmer write custom code to extract and replace strings from xliff back to Excel (should be fairly easy).

You could even write a Word macro to do the job. Maybe I could help you if I had the actual xliff files you want to work on.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
There is a small possibility Nov 7, 2008

Sue Orchard wrote:

There is a small possibility of using the Translate Toolkit's xlf2po and po2csv for this, but it would have to be tested. If you can send me the XLF files too, I can do some stress testing on them. Essentially in the solution I propose, you'd "convert" the XLF files to PO (actually, you're just extracting the text) and then convert (truly convert) it to CSV from there. Once the reviewer is done, convert (truly convert) it back to PO, and then "convert" it back to XLF (actually, you're just merging the text back).

If you're unwilling to send me the files, you can try it yourself. Put all the XLF files in a folder (or folder tree) named "foo_xlf" (make sure the file extension is XLF). Then do this test:

1. xlf2po foo_xlf foo_po
(extracts the text from XLF to PO)

2. podebug --rewrite=xxx -f "" foo_po foo_po_debug
(does dummy processing of the PO files by adding "xxx" to the target text)

3. po2xlf -t foo_xlf foo_po_debug foo_xlf_done
(merge the text from the PO files back into the XLF)

Now check if your XLF files are still all valid and that all the target text strings now have xxx in them. If not, the first roundtrip did not work. If success, do this test (which mimicks what you'll be doing if you do decide to use this method):

1. xlf2po foo_xlf foo_po
(extracts the text from XLF to PO, same as previously)

2. po2csv foo_po foo_csv
(converts it to CSV files).

3. Open it in Excel, make some changes to the target text strings (not the source), eg change all vowels to X'es, and save it as CSV again.

4. csv2po foo_csv foo_po_done
(convert the CSV back to PO)

5. po2xlf -t foo_xlf foo_po_done foo_xlf_done
(merge the text from the PO files back into the XLF)

Optional steps directly after #1 and #4:

1.1 pocount foo_po > foo_po.txt

4.1 pocount foo_po_done > foo_po_done.txt

And check if foo_po.txt and foo_po_done.txt contain the same statistics.

Then, if you're still sane or awake, happy converting!

==

Sorry, the tools are called xliff2po and po2xliff.

Here's the URL for the Toolkit:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/

[Edited at 2008-11-07 14:43]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:08
German to Spanish
Hm... Nov 7, 2008

I don't know if I have understand the problem.

The client has translate a Excel file with Heartsome and the corrections should be made by you with Trados.

Correct?

The client can send a TM (txt) from the translated file.

You can open in Trados the original file and using this TM make the needed changes and send back a new TM made by cleaning the edited file (to avoid bad TUs from the first translation).

Then with Heartsome can be t
... See more
I don't know if I have understand the problem.

The client has translate a Excel file with Heartsome and the corrections should be made by you with Trados.

Correct?

The client can send a TM (txt) from the translated file.

You can open in Trados the original file and using this TM make the needed changes and send back a new TM made by cleaning the edited file (to avoid bad TUs from the first translation).

Then with Heartsome can be translate again using the new TM(X).

Am I missing something?

Regards

[Edited at 2008-11-07 15:37]
Collapse

Comms
Comms  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 7, 2008

Thank you, Spiros & Sam! I'll try them out!

rbisarre
rbisarre
France
po2xliff Jan 19, 2014

Hello,

I would like to know if the test succed.

I ve dowload the kit .

xliff2po : ok
po2csv : ok

csv2po : ok

po2xliff non ok , it always generates an empty file.

I ve tried it on several sample xliff file, even very simple one found on the net.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Okapi May 11, 2017

http://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_an_XLIFF_file_from_Excel
I have not tested it, but Okapi is solid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Xliff into Excel and then back to Xliff?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »