Which CAT tools support Excel files with multiple multilingual tabs?
Thread poster: juevmasp
juevmasp
juevmasp
Germany
Nov 23, 2020

Hi,

I'm looking for CAT tools that support Excel files with multiple tabs (other than memoQ). In this specific case my Excel files consist of +20 tabs, whereas source and target columns differ from tab to tab (sometimes multiple source and target columns for each tab).
Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Em

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:08
English to Russian
Why 'other than memoQ'? Nov 24, 2020

As far as I know, memoQ is the only CAT tool that can perfectly handle multiple worksheets with different source and target columns. I guess you have some reason to exclude memoQ indeed, but just out of curiosity what is wrong with it?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
CafeTran Nov 24, 2020

I frequently translate Excel files with multiple worksheets, from ITA to ENG, using CafeTran

[Edited at 2020-11-24 15:24 GMT]

juevmasp
juevmasp
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Alternative Nov 24, 2020

@ Stepan: Yes, and I really like working with memoQ, however, I'm looking for a more affordable solution.

@Tom, I actually tried CafeTran but as far as I can see you can't select different columns for each sheet. Am I wrong?

Stepan Konev
xulihang

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:08
English to Russian
True Nov 24, 2020

juevmasp wrote:
@ Stepan: Yes, and I really like working with memoQ, however, I'm looking for a more affordable solution.

Ah, yeah... That's true. Agree.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso Nov 25, 2020

juevmasp wrote:

@Tom, I actually tried CafeTran but as far as I can see you can't select different columns for each sheet. Am I wrong?

Nope.

Francesco Venale

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
diff Nov 25, 2020

juevmasp wrote:

Partly. Cafetran will break the whole thing into segments - regardless of what language they are in. You can then simply translate the segments you want to translate, and leave the others as they are.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools support Excel files with multiple multilingual tabs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »