Question about Blueboard access
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2017

First of all, I am not sure this is the proper forum to post this.

As a recent non-member (ie non-payer), I am still debating whether I should shell out the €120 now required for entry-level Proz membership.
I just came across this enticement and would like to know if it means that in order to have full access to BB comments for all BB outsourcers, one has to go for the €180 membership option:

members are able to see ratings entered by others for the
... See more

As a recent non-member (ie non-payer), I am still debating whether I should shell out the €120 now required for entry-level Proz membership.
I just came across this enticement and would like to know if it means that in order to have full access to BB comments for all BB outsourcers, one has to go for the €180 membership option:

members are able to see ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated. ProZ.com Plus subscribers are further able to view ratings entered for outsourcers that they have not worked for

Does this really mean that for €120 one only has partial access to the Blueboard? So if a member who is not a super member wants to check out a potential outsourcer that they have never worked for, ratings will be hidden?

For the sake of clarity, here is the full text of what I saw when I tried to see a BB outsourcer:
ProZ.com Professional Member Only Feature ProZ.com membership

ProZ.com members enjoy unlimited access to all Blue Board records. This includes:
complete access to outsourcer contact information
LWA entries
outsourcer entry comments and comment search
the ability to apply to outsourcers that are actively accepting applications from freelancers
graphs, visualizations, and detailed statistics on LWA entries
access to the edit history of comments
additional category ratings (members are able to see ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated. ProZ.com Plus subscribers are further able to view ratings entered for outsourcers that they have not worked for

[Edited at 2017-09-25 09:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I'm only a standard member Sep 25, 2017

And I can view entries for outsourcers I have not rated. I always look before I reply to queries and have not had a problem viewing them.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 25, 2017

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

And I can view entries for outsourcers I have not rated. I always look before I reply to queries and have not had a problem viewing them.

Are you a member under the new membership regime? Have you already renewed under the new system?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Me too Sep 25, 2017

I too am allowed to see all BB entries concerning both outsourcers I have worked for and outsourcers I have not worked for.
I'm only a "standard" member not a "Plus" member, having renewed my ordinary (non-Plus) membership last May, I think.

Francesca Bernardis
Francesca Bernardis  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
category ratings Sep 25, 2017

I am also a standard member, not a plus member, and I confirm that I can see BB entries in full (number rating + comment) for all outsourcers on the Blue Board.

It is my understanding that this part:

additional category ratings (members are able to see ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated. ProZ.com Plus subscribers are further able to view ratings entered for outsourcers that they have not worked for

is related to additional category ratings as explained here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/310154-plus_features_announcing_blue_board_“category_ratings”_and_more.html

Feature 1: Blue Board “category ratings”

ProZ.com is proud to announce Blue Board “category ratings”.

In response to member requests, it is now possible for those making Blue Board entries to rate outsourcers, on a scale from 1 to 5, in specific areas. The areas are:

- This outsourcer is easy/enjoyable to work with.
- This outsourcer considers quality in the way they manage projects.
- This outsourcer has straightforward on-boarding and documentation/contracting processes.
- This outsourcer adheres to agreed upon terms.
- This outsourcer has reasonable payment terms.*

* This category is provided for rating on characteristics like time until payment is made, whether or not payment fees are taken out in a way that was not agreed in advance, etc. This field is not intended to be used to rate outsourcers on payment amounts. There is no category for that, since it is assumed that payment amount will have been previously agreed to, to the satisfaction of both parties.

I know that some time ago I did see a BB page where there was an indication that this type of rating had been given, and I had no access to it, but I could still see the average score and comment given by that freelancer.

Also, I am not sure if there category ratings still exist after the most recent (September) "modernisation" of the Blue Board

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 20:38
Category Ratings Sep 25, 2017

writeaway wrote:

members are able to see ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated. ProZ.com Plus subscribers are further able to view ratings entered for outsourcers that they have not worked for

Does this really mean that for €120 one only has partial access to the Blueboard? So if a member who is not a super member wants to check out a potential outsourcer that they have never worked for, ratings will be hidden?

For the sake of clarity, here is the full text of what I saw when I tried to see a BB outsourcer:
ProZ.com Professional Member Only Feature ProZ.com membership

ProZ.com members enjoy unlimited access to all Blue Board records. This includes:
complete access to outsourcer contact information
LWA entries
outsourcer entry comments and comment search
the ability to apply to outsourcers that are actively accepting applications from freelancers
graphs, visualizations, and detailed statistics on LWA entries
access to the edit history of comments

[Edited at 2017-09-25 09:41 GMT]

Hi writeaway,

Standard package subscribers can view:
- All entry ratings
- All entry comments
- Category ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated

Plus package subscribers can view:
- All entry ratings
- All entry comments
- All category ratings

This is what an entry looks like for someone who can view category ratings:
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 7.15.15 PM
This is what an entry looks like for someone who can not view category ratings:
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 7.16.06 PM

The 5 additional categories are:
- This outsourcer has straightforward on-boarding and documentation/contracting processes.
- This outsourcer has reasonable payment terms.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On whether you are missing out Sep 25, 2017

joemember wrote:

It was a nice idea, but from the ratings that I have seen so far, I believe the system is already failing. A translator who is angry will give low scores for most or all five of the categories, even if strictly speaking he isn't being truthful by doing so. A translator who is very happy with the agency is unlikely to give low scores in any of the categories.

So, you're not really missing out by not being able to see those extra 5 categories.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! So €120 does buy access to all anyone needs to see on the Blueboard Sep 25, 2017

joemember wrote:

Hi writeaway,

Standard package subscribers can view:
- All entry ratings
- All entry comments
- Category ratings entered by others for the outsourcers that they have rated

Plus package subscribers can view:
- All entry ratings
- All entry comments
- All category ratings

The 5 additional categories are:
- This outsourcer has reasonable payment terms.

Thanks. That does clarify it.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:38
German to English
+ ...
Hi writeaway Sep 25, 2017

maybe you should take a look at the thread "Removal of Negative Feedback Entry on BB due to Ambiguity of TimeFrame regarding Complaints". The BB today is a worthless tool and not 12 cents worth leave alone 120 EUR.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Blue Board Sep 25, 2017

I recently saw an agency with LWA5 from ten translators who happened to post on the same day and happened to use the exact same wording. Hmmm.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't consider the Blueboard ratings particularly reliable Sep 25, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

I recently saw an agency with LWA5 from ten translators who happened to post on the same day and happened to use the exact same wording. Hmmm.

But when one can see who works for an agency (ie who the agency gives jobs to), it can give an idea about what sort of agency it is in terms of quality requirements and rates.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The magic threshold Sep 25, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

Yes, I have noticed that some nasty agencies (for whom I don't work any more) - when their BB composite score plummets below a certain level - will desperately run a quick 'campaign' to get a bunch if 5s in order to lift that sad figure. So they ask their low ball translators to post them there, suggesting what to write. These jerks often have such a limited knowledge of the English language, that they don't dare to edit it to make the trick less conspicuous.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How apt, José-Enrique! Sep 25, 2017

A "bunch of fives" is exactly what those jokers deserve ...

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 26, 2017

writeaway wrote:

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

Are you a member under the new membership regime? Have you already renewed under the new system?

I renewed fairly recently and decided to stay with standard membership.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmmmm: horses, salt, and bad smells. Sep 26, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

That's why when we consult the BB we should always have a bowl of salt beside us, and take large pinches of it at regular intervals. It takes a good nose to detect a good smell or a bad smell, but it can be done.

If in doubt, and if you recognise the names of any of the translators who gave the ratings, you can always message them privately to get the real lowdown from the horse's mouth.

Sorry about the metaphor mixing but it's one of those days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about Blueboard access

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »