Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Problems with an agency, not getting paid: what would you do?
Thread poster: Robin Meurer
Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:53
German to English
+ ...
And May 12, 2017

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

No, they are not located in Germany, but in France.

Know that because I had a problem with the same agency.

did you receive your money? I am asking out of sheer curiosity

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:53
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Digital piracy May 13, 2017

Here's the way I managed to get paid once, under a somewhat similar scenario. In this case, I discovered the end client had posted my translation online, with some changes but close enough that it was still clearly my work.

I advised the non-paying agency that since I had not been paid I still owned the copyright to the translation. Therefore, posting my work online was digital piracy, a criminal offence. (I believe any use of digital work infringing a copyright is digital piracy
... See more
Here's the way I managed to get paid once, under a somewhat similar scenario. In this case, I discovered the end client had posted my translation online, with some changes but close enough that it was still clearly my work.

I advised the non-paying agency that since I had not been paid I still owned the copyright to the translation. Therefore, posting my work online was digital piracy, a criminal offence. (I believe any use of digital work infringing a copyright is digital piracy). I pointed out that the police force has an office of digital piracy and that I would make a claim with them if I was not paid, which could potentially lead to criminal charges. I was paid shortly after.
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:53
French to German
+ ...
Yes May 13, 2017

Yes, I have been paid after a blueboard entry.

The manager did contact me the same day and make a banktransfer. This was already in 2016 though.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:53
German to English
+ ...
It seems May 13, 2017

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

Yes, I have been paid after a blueboard entry.

The manager did contact me the same day and make a banktransfer. This was already in 2016 though.

that now they do not give a rat's a$$ about Blue Board. Maybe solvency problems... My heart goes out to Robin Meurer if this is the case as his endeavours may result in waste of time, money, energy, and nerves.

Robin Meurer
Robin Meurer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:53
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 14, 2017

Andrea, Maija, John, Tom for commenting on my last entry!

@Andrea - you're right, both seem to be unnecessary. I will get in touch with your contact next week and ask for help in this case.

Wish you all a nice weekend!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with an agency, not getting paid: what would you do?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »