Thread poster: Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2017

After years of using Wordfast, this is a fairly new problem and is substantially hindering the benefits of using Wordfast.
Wordfast support were supposed to be helping me but have not responded for two weeks.
The problem is as follows: when I do a concordance search for a term (Ctrl + Alt + C), all open Word windows (including the concordance results, the document I'm working on, the glossary document and any other Word documents that I have open) are suddenly rearranged into wide a
... See more
After years of using Wordfast, this is a fairly new problem and is substantially hindering the benefits of using Wordfast.
Wordfast support were supposed to be helping me but have not responded for two weeks.
The problem is as follows: when I do a concordance search for a term (Ctrl + Alt + C), all open Word windows (including the concordance results, the document I'm working on, the glossary document and any other Word documents that I have open) are suddenly rearranged into wide and narrow strips going horizontally across the screen. Extremely frustrating and impossible to work with. So, I have to resize and move each window back to where it was.
I'm using Wordfast Classic version 6.45 with Microsoft Word: 2016 monthly) and Windows 10 operating system.
Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
Many thanks!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oo...er May 5, 2017

That certainly doesn't sound useful. Hasn't happened to me yet (unknown release of Wf Classic + Word 2007) and I hope it never does.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
When did it begin? May 5, 2017

Right after upgrading?
How Ctrl + Alt + C combo works without WFC?
What if you use not a keyboard shortcut, but an icon?

Seems like some software conflict.
Or if downgrading helps, then a bug.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blame MS Office May 6, 2017

WF Classic won't work properly with more recent versions of Office than 2010, at least not if you want to work with Excel and PPT. I suspect it will be the Word version that is screwing things up. (I keep a backup PC with MS Office 2010 on it for this express purpose, so that I can work in Excel and PPT with WFC).

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks (though sounds discouraging!) May 7, 2017

neilmac wrote:

WF Classic won't work properly with more recent versions of Office than 2010, at least not if you want to work with Excel and PPT. I suspect it will be the Word version that is screwing things up. (I keep a backup PC with MS Office 2010 on it for this express purpose, so that I can work in Excel and PPT with WFC).

Thanks for your reply.
It is more or less what I expected to hear. And am somewhat discouraged by it!
Is Wordfast Classic more or less dead now??

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe best to stick with Word 2007! May 7, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

That certainly doesn't sound useful. Hasn't happened to me yet (unknown release of Wf Classic + Word 2007) and I hope it never does.

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately the error happens with icon as well... May 7, 2017

DZiW wrote:

Right after upgrading?
How Ctrl + Alt + C combo works without WFC?
What if you use not a keyboard shortcut, but an icon?

Seems like some software conflict.
Or if downgrading helps, then a bug.

Unfortunately the problem also happens when I click on an icon...
So, yes, maybe I should try downgrading... good suggestion, thank you. The trouble with Wordfast is it's so clunky all round... it was good 8-10 years ago, but now it seems very dated. I would use Wordfast Anywhere if it weren't for the fact that you have to upload your entire TM to the cloud and entrust it to Wordfast (and it is too valuable to do that!). Plus the fact that you can't work offline with it...
I feel as if Wordfast might be on the way out. But having said that, the other systems were so ridiculously arcane and complicated that the thought of moving to one of them fills me with dread...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem with WFC 6.44 in Word 2016 May 8, 2017

This issue must be related to your settings in Word, but I have no idea where to look for. Something like that happened in Word 2016 with the compare function, documents opening along each other. But I could not reproduce it the second time.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
WfC 6.45 and MS Word 2016 (Windows) + German version of Word May 8, 2017

I haven't had the problem you're talking about with the configuration listed in the title. I just tried it again, to be certain, and everything worked normally.

However, I have the same nagging suspicion that Classic seems to get less attention than it deserves from Wordfast. For example, I had a problem with placeables for a long time: It eventually went away, but it seemed to take a long time.

In general, I think WfC is a great and, above all, very distinctive product
... See more
I haven't had the problem you're talking about with the configuration listed in the title. I just tried it again, to be certain, and everything worked normally.

However, I have the same nagging suspicion that Classic seems to get less attention than it deserves from Wordfast. For example, I had a problem with placeables for a long time: It eventually went away, but it seemed to take a long time.

In general, I think WfC is a great and, above all, very distinctive product and I am very happy with it. It doesn't seem clunky and dated to me, but it might be fair to say that I like clunky and dated things, so maybe it's just a matter of taste. I wish there were less glitches to work around, but things are fine.

In fact, I don't know what I'd do without WfC at this point, because I'd hate to go back to just typing things over the source text and I can't imagine moving on to something like Trados, etc.
I own WfP, because it only cost something like €50 for both licenses instead of one, but I've never used it and don't really understand the point of developing another normal CAT that is unlikely to be better than all of the others and very likely to be worse than some. I've never understood the point of the freeware Wf Anywhere either.

If Wordfast has decided that Visual Basic is a dead end in terms of where CATs are now going or if they've just lost interest, I wish they would sell WfC off to someone who cares about it and let them develop and maintain it.

PS: Edited to add that I work with the German version of Word (likely to relevant if it is a problem with MS Word hotkeys)

[Edited at 2017-05-08 06:12 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Alive and ticking May 8, 2017

Hello,

WFC is still alive and ticking. This is evidenced by the release notes you can find here:
https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=historytable

Yves, the WFC developer, just informed me that the concordance issue has been resolved in the current beta (6.98d, posted April 28, 2017). This beta is awaiting release. As for Excel and Powerpoi
... See more
Hello,

WFC is still alive and ticking. This is evidenced by the release notes you can find here:

Yves, the WFC developer, just informed me that the concordance issue has been resolved in the current beta (6.98d, posted April 28, 2017). This beta is awaiting release. As for Excel and Powerpoint support, it was announced that this would be dropped more than a year ago because of technical limitations imposed by newer versions of Microsoft.

WFC will continue to be developed and supported. I suggest that users post feedback, feature requests, bugs, etc. in the dedicated Yahoo group for WFC: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast/
Yves follows that forum closely and replies to users directly.

Best,

John
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alive and kicking! May 8, 2017

Michael Wetzel wrote:

I own WfP, because it only cost something like €50 for both licenses instead of one, but I've never used it and don't really understand the point of developing another normal CAT that is unlikely to be better than all of the others and very likely to be worse than some. I've never understood the point of the freeware Wf Anywhere either.

If Wordfast has decided that Visual Basic is a dead end in terms of where CATs are now going or if they've just lost interest, I wish they would sell WfC off to someone who cares about it and let them develop and maintain it.

[Edited at 2017-05-08 06:12 GMT]

I've never seen the point of WFP or Anywhere either, but WFC still works fine for me. It does everything I want or need it to, even though I don't use many of the functions. For example, I've never found the glossary function to be useful. For now, I'm quite happy to just keep a backup PC with Office 2010 installed so that I can work with Excel and PowerPoint as well as Word when the need arises. The last time was a few weeks ago.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Thank you for the very fast response. May 8, 2017

I guess my comment may have been a test more than anything else.

I am not perfectly satisfied with WfC, but I really am very satisfied with it. I suppose that's why I worry more than necessary. I wish I had begun my previous post with a very sincere "thank you" before fading into a minor fit of doom and gloom.

I use the glossary function a lot (though very unsystematically). On the other hand, I don't think I've ever translated a Powerpoint file and only a handful of Ex
... See more
I guess my comment may have been a test more than anything else.

I am not perfectly satisfied with WfC, but I really am very satisfied with it. I suppose that's why I worry more than necessary. I wish I had begun my previous post with a very sincere "thank you" before fading into a minor fit of doom and gloom.

I use the glossary function a lot (though very unsystematically). On the other hand, I don't think I've ever translated a Powerpoint file and only a handful of Excel files (less than five) since I started translating 7+ years ago.

I've picked up a lot of useful tips here over the years (I figured out how to use the "force segmentation" function to deal with footnotes effectively, and I've also gotten better about not using the "quick clean" function and adjusting my editing procedures to produce reliable TMs), but thank you very much for the tip about the Yahoo group.

Thank you very much,
Michael
Collapse

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking forward to version 6.98d ! May 18, 2017

John Di Rico wrote:

Yves, the WFC developer, just informed me that the concordance issue has been resolved in the current beta (6.98d, posted April 28, 2017). This beta is awaiting release.

Thanks John, that is encouraging!

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast have given me the solution! Aug 4, 2017

I now have a solution - and it's so simple!
Without even realising, I had evidently enabled the ConcordanceWindowArrange
setting in Pandora's Box.
The problem is fixed by disabling it by inserting an underscore: Concordance_WindowArrange
I am so happy now as I depend on concordance searches a lot!
A great way to start the weekend knowing that next week's work will be that much smoother....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic windows reorganise upon doing a concordance search

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »