I need help: setting a rate for timing subtitles.
Thread poster: marajrg
marajrg
marajrg
Venezuela
Jul 6, 2017

Hi, I'm new here but I've been working with subtitling for a little bit now.

I got this very good oportunity to work with subs, they're all done in .srt I just have to help them with the timing, and this is where I need your help, I have no idea of how much can I charge for this... any suggestion?

I highly appreciate it.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't get it. Jul 6, 2017

An .srt file HAS timing... or what are you talking about?

Alfredo Lo Bello
Alfredo Lo Bello  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Nothing below 5$/Min Jul 6, 2017

My advice is not to accept anything less than 6$ per minute because if you are confident in your skills you shouldn't charge anything less than that. Working for anything below than that will make you look bad and definitely not as a quality translator.

marajrg
marajrg
Venezuela
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, just to clarify... Jul 6, 2017

Juan Jacob wrote:

An .srt file HAS timing... or what are you talking about?

Yes, it does, but it doesn't fit the video file well, it's out of sync. So my job it's to make that happen.

marajrg
marajrg
Venezuela
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, that's a good advice. Jul 6, 2017

Lo Bello A. wrote:

My advice is not to accept anything less than 6$ per minute because if you are confident in your skills you shouldn't charge anything less than that. Working for anything below than that will make you look bad and definitely not as a quality translator.

This is exactly what I was trying to confirm, because we all know that in this business the ratescab vary, sometimes you ask for an amount of money and they reject you because there's someone else ready do it for half of my asking price, so it's always a little tricky.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help: setting a rate for timing subtitles.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »