Thread poster: Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

I have a document in a language pair different from my working languages, which I need to outsource to a colleague of mine who doesn't use any CAT tool.

I think I have seen this somewhere, so I am almost sure that what I am talking about can be done, but I just don't know how. Not a Trados expert myself either... Now, I have all the segments of the document inserted into a new TM (source and target has the same text) and I need to export this TM in an Excel document with the source
... See more
I have a document in a language pair different from my working languages, which I need to outsource to a colleague of mine who doesn't use any CAT tool.

I think I have seen this somewhere, so I am almost sure that what I am talking about can be done, but I just don't know how. Not a Trados expert myself either... Now, I have all the segments of the document inserted into a new TM (source and target has the same text) and I need to export this TM in an Excel document with the source in one column and the target in another column. Then my colleague can translate one of the columns like he usually does. After he is done with that, I want to import the translation in the Excel file back to the TM (or a different TM). I could just do this by copy pasting the translation somehow, but the document is huge and it will be really time consuming... Can anyone help me with this?

I would be very grateful for any hints!!
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:49
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Plustoyz should do the trick! Aug 25, 2010

This free collection of macros, by Arkady Vysotsky, will allow you convert from TRADOS TM export (.txt) to Word table.

Then you can paste the Word table into an empty Excel table and send it to your colleague.

When the translation is done, you will convert from Excel to TRADOS-like segmented text, to be cleaned e.g. on an empty TRADOS TM

Download it from here :http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/

Saludos

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:49
English to Thai
+ ...
TM data structure Aug 26, 2010

Trados *.txt TM date structure cntain many rows and you need a special macro to adjust into Excel columns. For WordFast TM, data structure has one row and I can paste into Excel column easily [data paste options]. But an easier method is opening WC *.txt TM in MS Word, select all, convert text to table, and paste the table into Excel columns. You can import the Word table into WF TM in reverse steps.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help! Aug 26, 2010

Thank you so much for your help Jorge and Soonthon! This macro works like a charm

Much appreciated indeed!

AtelieruldeTrad
AtelieruldeTrad
Romania
Local time: 12:49
Member (2015)
English to Romanian
+ ...
can't access Sep 2, 2015

Hi,

Would you be so kind to add me to the group or send me the marcos at [email protected] ?

Thanks, your help will be much appreciated.

Elena

Bahar Demirci
Bahar Demirci
Türkiye
TM data converter macro needed Mar 27, 2016

Dear Elena,

Would you be so kindly send me the marcos to me as well to [email protected] ?

Your help will be much appreciated and nice,

Best Regards,
Bahar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting TM to Excel and vice-versa

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »