Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:18
English to French
+ ...
Jun 21, 2010

Hello,

Is there a way to import terminology from an excel sheet to a termbase created on Multiterm 2009 ?

Thanks

Mohamed

rma (X)
rma (X)
MultiTerm Convert Jun 21, 2010

I don't think you can import the excel sheet directly into MultiTerm. You need another tool from SDL called MultiTerm Convert. You can upload the excel sheet into MultiTerm Convert export the sheet directly to MultiTerm. I've done it 2 or 3 times and it worked fine.

All the best

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Multiterm Convert Jun 22, 2010

Yes, the way forward is to use Multiterm Convert.

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
How I do it Jun 22, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to import terminology from an excel sheet to a termbase created on Multiterm 2009 ?

Thanks

Mohamed

Transferring terms from an Excel file to a new MultiTerm termbase
These instructions were prepared using TRADOS 7 with Windows XP but they still apply for the newest softare versions.
Substitute "Swedish" with your source language and "English" with your target language.

Step 1. Prepare the Excel file
In the Excel file, delete all columns but two – one with “Swedish” (no quotation marks) in Row 1, Column A, with the Swedish terms beneath, and one with “English” (no quotation marks) in Row 1, Column B, with the English terms beneath.
Save and close the file.

Step 2. Converting the Excel file into TRADOS XML format
Open MultiTerm Convert.

MultiTerm Convert opens with a conversion wizard at step 1/7.

1/7 Click Next.

2/7 Select: New conversion session and Save conversion session.
Click Save as…
Give the file a name and save it somewhere convenient (the file extension is XCD).
Click Next.

3/7 Select Microsoft Excel format.
Click Next.

4/9 Browse to your Excel input file.
Click Next.

5/9 Select Swedish from Available column header fields: and then click Index field. Select Swedish (Sweden) from the dropdown list.
Select English from Available column header fields: and then click Index field. Select English (United States), or the appropriate sublanguage, from the dropdown list.
Click Next.

6/9 Click Next.

7/9 Select Convert immediately.
Click Next.

8/9 Wait until the conversion is complete.
Click Next.

9/9 Click Finish to close the MultiTerm Convert.

Step 3. Creating a new termbase
Open MultiTerm.

Select Create termbase… from the Termbase menu.
Browse to the folder where you would like to store your termbase and click OK. (Selecting a folder in your My Documents folder will usually make it easier to back up the termbase or move it to a new computer when the time comes.)

The Termbase Wizard will now open at step 1/5.
Click Next.

1/5 Select Load an existing termbase file.
Browse to the XDT file created during the conversion process described in Step 2 and click Open.
Click Next.

2/5 Enter a termbase name.
Click Next.

3/5 Click Next.

4/5 Click Next.

5/5 Click Next.

Click Finish.

Step 4. Importing the entries from your Excel file
Choose Import Entries… from the Termbase menu.
Click Process… in the Termbase Catalogue dialog box.

2/8 Browse to the XML file created in MultiTerm Convert in Step 2, and click Open.
Select Fast import.
Click Next.

3/8 Click Save As… to save the exclusion file.
Click Next.

7/8 Click Next.

8/8 Wait until the import has been processed.
Click Next.

Click Finish.

Click OK.

Remy Blaettler
Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
Little tutorial Aug 8, 2010

I've wrote a little summary on how you can import Excel into MultiTerm 2009 here:
http://remy.supertext.ch/2010/08/import-terminology-from-excel-into-sdl-multiterm-2009/

Should cover most points.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Got it Feb 16, 2011

First I got stuck when it came to importing the terms after I had created the termbase. But from Remy's instructions I after a while understood that I first have to click on Catalogue, then select the file and after that still right-click on the line in the box.

Thanks you!

But who the heck has programmed this Multiterm? They could have done a better job. There is no logic in the whole process.

Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:18
German to English
Thanks! Mar 23, 2011

I have already prepared a few termbases using Joel's instructions and Heinrich's comments, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain this.

I also got stuck at the last step of importing the terms, so I added the following information, which made a little bit easier for me. Maybe someone else will also find it useful. This is a great way to convert cumbersome Excel files into handy reference material and does not take very long at all.

Step 4. Importing the
... See more
I have already prepared a few termbases using Joel's instructions and Heinrich's comments, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain this.

I also got stuck at the last step of importing the terms, so I added the following information, which made a little bit easier for me. Maybe someone else will also find it useful. This is a great way to convert cumbersome Excel files into handy reference material and does not take very long at all.

Step 4. Importing the entries from your Excel file
In the MultiTerm menu, go to "Catalog" and click on "Import" in the above menu (this highlights the entry).
Right-click on Import and select "Process"
Enter the XML file created in MultiTerm Convert in Step 2, and click Open.
Select Fast import.
Click Next.

3/8 Click Save As… to save the exclusion file.
Click Next.

7/8 Click Next.

8/8 Wait until the import has been processed.
Click Next.

Click Finish.

Click OK.

Click OK.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No logic Mar 23, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But who the heck has programmed this Multiterm? There is no logic in the whole process.

That's very true. It used to make a tiny little bit of sense in the old MT that had a File/Import menu item (or was it Termbase/Import?)
The way MT Convert works and the fact that you had to press "Process" in the Import dialog was preposterous, but it was still better than having to go through the cryptically named "Catalog". I can totally understand if someone can't figure this out on their own.
I'm not sure if SDL employs a UI team or they are just winging it, but if they have UI people, now would be a good time to replace them. There are screwups here that everyone can recognize from two hundred yards away except SDL, it seems.

Joern Wennerstroem
Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
English to Danish
Importing Excel-data Jul 14, 2011

Thank you all for valuable info about this not so easy subject. The information about the XDT-file was particularly important to me, the only problem was I forgot in the first instance where I'd told Multiterm Convert to put it, this caused quite a stir...

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
Alexandre De Sena Viegas  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
XLS-terms aren't completely imported Nov 23, 2011

I tried the procedure with around 33000 entries both with Studio 2009 and Studio 2011.
At the end I just get 650 entries imported... Why is this happening?

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
On empty line in the Excel sheet Nov 23, 2011

Possibly on empty line after the first 650 lines in Excel

Sanne

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... Nov 23, 2011

No...There are no empty lines, and even if there were some, it should also work.

I followed the convertion process of the XLS-file into XML and I even simplified it with only two fields: DE-DE and PT-PT.

However, I work daily with a MetaTexis TDB (Terminology Database).

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-23 16:37 GMT]

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Special character ? Nov 23, 2011

Hi,
have you a special character in the first row which has not been imported? take a look. Even a "&" will cause a crash...

Sébastien

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... Nov 24, 2011

Yes, I found some suspicious characters but it still doesn't work after deletion

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-24 13:46 GMT]

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Repeated terms? Feb 2, 2012

Hello again...

Could it be, that TRADOS MULTI TERM doesn't accept repeated terms (source)?
I think this could be the reason why at the end of the import procedure, I only get 750 from the 33000 terms imported.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import terminology from Excel in Multiterm 2009

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »