Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 9, 2017

Hello everyone

Are light resources saved as files somewhere, so that I can regularly back them up and easily restore them if necessary? Or are they stored in a non-backupable format so that one can only really back them up by exporting and importing from within MemoQ?

Thanks
Samuel

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:10
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
You can back them up Jun 9, 2017

Of course you can back them up. By default, they are saved here: C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\Resources\Local

You can change the location in the Options.

The thing is that memoQ often decides to stop playing well with light resources: it refuses to read from them and throws the all too usual "General error".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can even relocate them if you wish Jun 9, 2017

You can move your light resources to a different location:

1. Create a suitable folder at a location that suits you best for backup or other purposes.

2. Copy the light resources from the default location (as reported by the colleague).

3. Choose the Options button (the button with the little coloured gears) in the little top toolbar. In the Options dialogue box, choose the Locations category, click the Resources tab. The folder for Light reso
... See more
You can move your light resources to a different location:

1. Create a suitable folder at a location that suits you best for backup or other purposes.

2. Copy the light resources from the default location (as reported by the colleague).

3. Choose the Options button (the button with the little coloured gears) in the little top toolbar. In the Options dialogue box, choose the Locations category, click the Resources tab. The folder for Light resources has its own text box. Click the "..." browse button to choose your new folder.

As for your second question: as far as I am aware, all light resources are XML or text files, i.e. not binaries or encrypted at all. You do not need to export them to make a reliable backup, I would say, and I do not think they are marked as open (and thus locked for backup) except at the time of starting memoQ. You might want to confirm this particular with Kilgray (and let us know!).

Enjoy!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to backup light resources

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »